and all that's in between has MOVED

visit the new blog at andallthatsinbetween.wordpress.com

Monday 17 January 2011

katy grannan's granny (not literally)



THIS image immediately threw up a question in my mind. One that is probably quite common amongst women in today's image obsessed society. 'At what age should you stop wearing short skirts?'

Now, before seeing this photo I would have possibly made a stab in the dark guess at around 40. (Maybe later if you're a celebrity with the ability to apparently stop the aging process at 30.) But upon seeing this image I think I may have changed my mind. 

I am usually the first to balk at any form of varicose veins, orange peel thighs or knobbly knees. It just isn't necessary to subject others to those sights. Yet this woman (dare I say it) looks cool. She's got attitude. And was clearly used to having all eyes on her in her youth - just look at the pose she's striking for the camera. 

In an outfit that wouldn't look out of place on an Alexa Chung wannabe this San Francisco granny has also done what many young girls often fail to do - by balancing the above-the-knee skirt with a long-sleeved shirt she has preserved her modesty. The result being an alluring outfit without needing to bare all.

However, there is one major reason why this woman's choice of short skirt has not made me express views of a completely different nature. And that is that this lady clearly lives in a hot climate. I mean real heat - not the measly 25C that sees Britons banding about the word 'heatwave'. 

And so in the name of comfort, (and also because if you can't think 'fuck it' at the age of 65 then when can you) I applaud and support her style. 

That's not to say that I want to see grannies stripping down by the dozen all around me. Simply that there is a time and a place where - if done well - the dare-to-bare attitude can be pulled off at any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment